Shanghai Jewish Refugees Museum is housed in the Ohel Moishe
Synagogue, which was established in 1907 to serve Jewish refugees
who sought sanctury in Shanghai in order to escape from massacre.
As an important part of Shanghai Jewish heritage, the museum also
has a small gallery and introduction video about the history and
life of the Jews in Shanghai.
The Ohel Moishe Synagogue which houses the Museum is a three-storey
gray-and-red brick building that has been restored to its original
state. The first floor is the prayer hall. The second and third
floor house exhibits from the Jewish faith and a collection of
items donated item used by the residents of the Jewish quarter.
These include wooden chairs, tobacco tins, a fan, electric iron， a
Singer sewing machine and other article. Another two exhibition
halls are located behind the main building and contain video,
picture and old news papers displays which illustrate how the
Jewish come to Shanghai and their life in old Shanghai.
No far from the museum in Huoshan Park, there is Jewish memorial
with a description of part of their history in both English and
Hebrew. At No. 59 Zhoushan road, an old the old house that once
house Jewish refugees still stands. Many Chinese residents live
there now and life goes on. Many things change but memories
Many Jewish people visit the museum and the street to reflect on
this portion of Jewish history. On October 14, 1993, the Israeli
Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin visited the Museum. He wrote in the
guestbook, "The Jewish people were protected by Shanghai people
when they were murdered and driven out by Nazis and wandered in the
world. The Israeli Government, Jewish people and I thank for their
help from the bottom of our heart."
Besides visiting the museum, the best thing to do is to take a
guided walking tour around Hongkou District, which will help
visitors learn more about the history and life of the Jewish
community in Shanghai,
During the Second World War, Shanghai was one of very few places in
the world that would accept Jewish refugees, and 25,000 Jewish
arrived in the city between 1937 and 1941. Nearly 2000 of these
refugees were escapees from Austria and held a visa which issued by
Dr. Ho Feng Shan, who was the Chinese Consul General in Vienna. The
Jewish refugees lived around the former Ohel Moishe Synagogue in
Hongkou district. The place became a ghetto where both Jews and
Chinese shared years of hardship. “Ohel Moishe Synagogue” became a
synonym for "refuge" and "rescue".
From 1940’s to 1960's, almost all Jewish refugees left China,
emigrating to all parts of the world. This place of refuge and
their life in Shanghai has formed deep memories. It was their
second hometown and many called themselves "Shanghai Jews".
In 2000, 3 years after he passed away, Dr. Ho Feng Shan was
posthumously awarded the Righteous among the Nations Award by
Israel for his humanitarian courage.
62 Changyang Road, Hongkou District (虹口区长阳路62号)