The First National Congress of the Communist Party of China was secretly held on July 23 in 1921, which proclaimed the founding of the Party. The building is a typical Shanghai stone-arched gate construction, built with wood and blue bricks, which was originally a girl s boarding school in Shanghai s French Concession. The memorial of the site of the 1st National Congress of the CPC was set up in 1952 and in 1999 the city government conducted a reconstruction of the memorial hall at the site.
The new memorial hall is 12 meters high with 2 stories at the front and 3 stories at the back. The front lobby occupies an area of 300 square meters. On the 200 square meters ground floor, is a lecture hall equipped with a TV recorder. On the second floor is the newly built exhibition hall of the Communist Party of China occupying a space of 450 square meters, where photos of the delegates to the Founding of the Communist Party of China , several hundred precious relics, documents and photographs are displayed.
There is also a wax statue hall, showing the 15 attendees of the congress (two were the representatives from the Communist International) sitting around the table. Young Comrade Mao Zedong, holding a piece of paper in his hand, is standing in the middle. It reproduces the historical scene of the day when the First National Congress of the Communist Party of China was taking place. Visitors will feel as if they are personally at the scene.