Located in the southern part of Xujiahui District, St. Ignatius Cathedral is the largest Roman Catholic cathedral in Shanghai after the Opium War. Completed in 1910, it is the first western architectural style cathedral in China, 79 meters high, and 28 meters wide.
There are 64 stone carved columns that come from Suzhou s Jin Mountain, and each of the columns consists of 10 small circular columns in the church. The floor was paved with quadrel and the middle passage is covered with ceramic tiles. The doors and windows are all decorated in the Gothic style, embedded with colorful glass, forming religious images. Here it also has 19 altars in the lobby, among them; the biggest one was carried from Paris in the Easter day of 1919, with high religious art value. The church can hold 2,500 people inside at one time, and features a gargoyle roof and twin red-brick spires.