Temple of General Yue Fei (Also called Yue Fei Temple, Yue Fei Miao, Yue Miao or Yuewang Miao) is located at the northern end of the Su Causeway on West Lake. It was built in 1221 A.D. in honor of General Yue Fei (1103-1142) in the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279 A. D.).
Yue Fei was born in Tangyin of Xiangzhou (in today's Henan Province). He was a great national hero of the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279) who distinguished himself in battles against northern invaders. Although he had successfully defeated several Tartar invasions, the party led by the minister Qin Hui framed him of treason and requested the emperor to sentence him to death. He was hanged together with his son Yue Yun.
In 1163, Song Emperor Gaozong exonerated Yue Fei and had his corpse reburied at the present site. In 1221, a memorial temple of Yue Fei was built here with statue of Yue Fei inside. The memorial temple has been destroyed and rebuilt for several times.
The present structure was the restoration in 1923. It contains a 4.54-meter-high statue of Yue Fei, which shows him armed with a sword in the left hand, seemingly prepared to fight at all times. To the right of memorial temple is the mausoleum of Yue Fei. There are four iron statues: Qin Hui and his wife, Zhangjun and Mo Qixie (Qinhui's cahoots who together framed Yue Fei) are kneeling in front of the tomb, all cursed and disdained by visitors for their devilry. On both sides of the tomb are six stone figures, two horses, two tigers and two goats, symbols the guards of Yue Fei.