Liugong Island is one of the most important attractions in Wei Hai.
In 1887 during the Qing Dynasty, the Northern Sea Navy was
established and set it's headquarters on this island.
A cluster of traditional brick-and-wood buildings with a central
axis running inside. The navy headquarter was divided into three
sections : the anterior hall, the hall in the middle and the hall
in the posterior. The anterior hall was used official business
discussions; the middle hall was for banqueting and the posterior
hall was for memorial services.
A long corridor connects the two yards together and on either side
of the gate an area was located for drum-beating , music
performance and as a watchtower. The whole building teemed with
exquisite statues and carvings and was full of grandeur.
200 meters southwest to the headquarter was the former residence of
the Inspector of the Navy：Ding ruchang who died in the war between
China and Japan in the Yellow Sea in 1894.
The headquarters now serves as the Jiawu anti-Japanese War
Museum..In addition, there are 28 navy historic relics as the
Former Navy School, a temple dedicated to the King of the
Sea, the memorial to the soldiers that died in the war.
The museum houses lots of rare and precious historic antiques. Two
giant cannons dredged out from underwater weighing as much as 20
tons each. The antiques, lots of pictures and wax figures, models
and Sandboxie coupled with some audio and video technology, vividly
gives all visitors some real insight into the war that happened
hundreds of years ago.