Bailuzhou Island covers an area of around 100 square meters, with a
length of 1.5 kilometers and a width of 0.5 kilometers. Because of
its shape like an egret, it is named Bailuzhou Island (Egret
Island). The island is an oasis in the river, covered with tall
bamboos and trees, so it attracts a variety of birds.
Bailuzhou Academy was built by Jiang Wangli, Ji'an procurator,
during the reign of emperor Cuntuo of the Southern Song Dynasty. It
was originally established for six distinguished scholars (Cheng
Dazhong, Shao Yong, Zhou Dun-yi, Zhang Zai, Cheng Yi and Zhu Xi) to
give lectures on Confucianism. After that, the academy went on to
educate many great figures in Chinese history, such as Wen
Tianxiang, Liu Chenweng and Deng Guangjian.
Since it was supported by many local officials in every dynasty,
the academy developed well and was renovated several times. In the
academy, the three-story Fengyue House stands out as the most
majestic and magnificent of the buildings.
The existing Yunzhang House was reconstructed during the Ming
Dynasty (1912), while Fengyue House was rebuilt during the Qing
Dynasty (1868), with an ethnic architectural style and brick-wood
structure. Both are main buildings in the academy. Other remains
such as Banyue Pond, the Scholar Bridge and the ancient Luck
Terrace are also famous sites. In 1978 the Bailuzhou Island Bridge
was built to connect the island with the city. Today it is very
convenient to visit there.
Location: The Bailuzhou Academy is situated on Bailuzhou Island in the Gan
River, in east Ji'an.
Special Distinction：Bailuzhou Academy is on a par with the great
Yuelu Academy of Hunan Province. Bailuzhou Academy along with the
White Deer Cave Academy on Lushan Mountain, Swan Lake Academy on
Qianshan Mountain and Nanchang Yuzhang Academy comprise the four
ancient Jiangxi academies.
How to get there: Travelers can take No. 14, 22, 43, 87, 301 and 304 buses to get