Huang Si Qiao Castle, about 24 kilometers west of Fenghuang, is the
best preserved stone castle of China. Its ancient name was Feiyang
Castle, built during the year 687 of Tang Dynasty for military use.
It was the outpost of governments of past dynasties to prevent Miao
ethnic people from rebelling. Miao people were forced to retreat in
the deep of mountain area and their population was sharply
The castle was built by bluestones, among which, the biggest is
over 1000 kilograms, and the smallest is over 500 kilograms. These
bluestones were connected by the mixture of steamed sticky rice and
calcareousness, which made the building integrated and firm. The
city wall of the castle is 5.6 meters high, 2.9 meters thick and
2.4 meters wide taking an area of 2900 square meters.
The city wall has three city gates, namely Heyu Gate, Shicheng Gate
and Riguang Gate, each with a ten-meter-high city tower in distinct
Qing-dynasty style. Besides, there are 300 arrow battlements and
two stretch-out emplacements.