The Longevity Palace, located at the bank of Tuojiang River in
Shawan Scenic Area, outside the East City Gate of Fenghuang. It is
harmoniously integrate with the surrounding mountains and river,
which reminds tourist of traditional Chinese painting. Its red
external wall is obvious among the green landscape. It is also
called Jiangxi (one province of China) Assembly Hall, built by
Jiangxi businessmen in Fenghuang during the year 20 of the reign of
Emperor Qianlong of Qing Dynasty (year 1755).
Taking an area of over 4000 square meters, Longevity Palace was a
marvelous and delicately- designed ancient Chinese building
complex, composed of more than 20 halls, mansions, chambers,
pavilions and an ancient stage. During the past hundreds of years,
some of the buildings were demolished or wrecked.
Now, it has become Fenghuang Folk Custom Museum. The displays are
very interesting, including various aspects of the county’s
minorities, mainly about Miao ethnic group and Tujia ethnic group,
such as the traditional dresses, ornaments and customs from the two
minority groups; paintings and calligraphies and sculpture works of
Chinese famous painter and sculptor Huang Yongyu, who brought
national even world fame to this outlying county Fenghuang.