Xinhui Study Temple

Located in the west of Mashan, Huicheng, Xinhui Study Temple is also named Wen Temple or Kong Temple. It covers an area of 12.189 square kilometers with 3.225 square kilometers’ architectural area. Xinhui Study Temple is Cultural and Historic Relics under Guangdong Province Protection. It was firstly built during the 4th year (1044) of the reign of Song Emperor Qingli according to the pattern of Qufu Kong Temple and the measurement of local conditions. The study temple was destroyed during Yuan Dynasty and was rebuilt in Ming Dynasty and then repaired for many times in the past dynasties. During the 24th year (1935) of the reign of Mingguo, the study temple had held a ceremony to offer sacrifice to Confucius after being repaired. After 1939, Huicheng was occupied by enemy and at the same time the study temple was seriously destroyed by Japanese invaders just left Hualong Bridge, Lingxing Entrance, Stone Memorial Arch, Yangyue Pool, and Dacheng Palace. Dacheng Palace is the court proper of Xinhui Study Temple and its structure is similar to Taihe Palace of the Imperial Palace. There are 24 peripheral columns around the propylaea with 12 golden columns inside. The right ridge was made in Xinyou Year of the Qing EmperorXian feng with double dragons around pearl on top and cucurbit sword in the middle. Besides there are bells hanging under the four corners of the double eaves.

Kong Temple was originally used to sacrifice to Confucius. However, it became the advanced place for learned people to gain their reputation after it got the title of Study Temple. And it also became the examination room in the past dynasties after founded civil service examination system.