Over this river there is a very fine stone bridge, so fine indeed,
that it has very few equals in the world."
-Diary of Marco Polo
Located 15 km southwest of Tiananmen Square, over the Youngding
River, the Lugou Bridge (Marco Polo Bridge, the bridge was so named
and known to the west owing to the description of the famous
Italian explorer Marco Polo) is the oldest existing multi-arched
stone bridge in the Beijing area. Construction of the original
bridge on this site commenced in 1189 and ended in 1192 and was
later reconstructed in 1698.
The Lugou Bridge is 266.5 meters in length and 9.3 meters in width,
supported on 11 piers. At the side of the bridge stand two steles.
One carries the inscription about the rebuilding of the bridge in
the 37th years of the reign of Emperor Kangxi, Qing (1698 AD). On
the other stele ones sees the calligraphy means "the morning moon
of Lugou" by Emperor Qianlong.
On each of the 281 white marble pillars stands a stone lion. The
most intriguing feature of these beasts is the fact that there are
more lions hiding on the head, back or under the belly or on paws
of each of the big lions. Investigations to determine total number
of animals have been carried out on several occasions but the
results have proved inconsistent, ranging anywhere from 482 to 496.
However, record has it that there were originally 627 lions. The
posture of lion varies, as do their ages. Most date from the Ming
(1368-1644) and Qing (1644-1911) dynasties, some are from the
earlier Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368); while the few lions dating from
as long ago as the Jin Dynasty (1115-1234) are now quite rare.
China's entry into World War II began with shots on the Marco Polo
Bridge on July 7, 1937 when the Japanese attacked Chinese troops,
resulting in the occupation of Beijing. This is known as the “Marco
Polo Bridge Incident.” To memorize the 50th anniTake bus No. 309 or 339.
How to Get to there?