Yalu River Broken Bridge is the first bridge on the Yalu River. Its
construction was begun in May, 1909, and was finished in October,
1911. It was built by the colonial institution at that time, namely
the railway bureau of the government office of Japan in North
Korea. It was originally a railway bridge, being 944.
2 meters long and 11 meters wide and having 12 holes in total. In
April, 1934, the second railway bridge (it is now called the
Friendship Bridge of China and North Korea) was built less than 100
meters away from it. Thus, the bridge was changed into a highway
bridge. During the War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid North
Korea, it was bombed by jets of the U.
S. army. The remaining part is called “the broken bridge.” It is
now a provincial cultural relic conservation unit and a national
patriotism education demonstration base.