Wu Xian Guan(Temple of the Five Immortals)is dedicated to the "five
immortals". It was built in the 10th year of Hongwu's reign of the
Ming Dynasty (1377 A. D.). The huge recess in the shape of a
footprint on the naked red sandstone was mistaken for the footprint
of an immortal at ancient times. In fact, the strong current from
the Pearl River crashed against the banks over times formed it. The
site of the temple was close to the river before the Jin Dynasty.
It is said that during the reign of Yi King of the Zhou Dynasty,
five immortals in colorful robes, each riding a colored goat
holding an ear of grain in its mouth came down to Guangzhou . They gave the grain to the residents as gift, blessing the
land free from famine forever. The immortals then flew with the
wind to the sky and the five goats left behind turned into stone.
So Guangzhou is also known as the Goat City or the Sui city (the
Rice-Ear City) because of this legend. Later, to commemorate these
five immortals, people built Wu Xian Guan, sculptured the statue of
five immortals on goats and placed them in the temple to be
worshiped. There are also 14 steles of script from the Song Dynasty
to the Qing Dynasty as well as a couple of stone Kirins.
Huge Bronze Bell
This bronze bell weighs about 5,000 kg. The bottom of the bell is a
square silo connecting with the door opening that forms a huge
resonator. People far away can hear it clearly whenever the
The huge bell is 3 meters in height, 2 meters in diameter. It
is the largest bronze bell still existing in Guangzhou.