The Temple of Six Banyan Trees has a long history as a monastery
and is well know within China and abroad by those who have an
interest in this area. The site contains majestic towers, dense
trees, plenty of antiques and valuable heritage from famous people
throughout its history. It is one of four Buddhist temple complexes
in Guangzhou with the other three being Guangxi ao Temple, Hualin Temple and Haizhuang Temple.
History of the Temple
Temple of Six Banyan Trees was first built in the 3rd year of
Datong (537 A.D.) during the reign of Emperor Wu in the Southern
Liang Dynasty. It was originally called Baozhuangyan Temple.
In fact the temple has had several name changes; Chaoshou Temple
and Songchu Temple in the Southern Han Dynasty. The temple was
damaged by fire and later and was rebuilt in the 2nd year of
Duangong in the Northern Song Dynasty (989 A.D.) and was named
Jinghui Temple. In the 4th year of Shaosheng during the Southern
Song Dynasty (1097 A. D.), the temple was repaired and Buddhist
relics were buried under the new construction. Thousands of
Buddhist statues were placed in the niches and it was renamed
In the 3rd year of Yuanfu in the Northern Song Dynasty (1100 A.
D.), Su Dongpo, a great writer, seeing that the six banyans were
verdant and entangled with each other and full of power and
grandeur, wrote the words "Liurong"(means six banyan trees) when he
visited the temple. His inscription was highly valued so it was and
hung above the temple's gate.
In the 9th year of Yongle during the Ming Dynasty (1411 A. D.), the
Jinghui Temple was renamed as Liurong Temple, and therefore the
Dagoba Tower was named Temple of Six Banyan Trees.